In Summer 2014 60+ teachers came together around the challenge: How might we use instructional design to create effective, engaging and multi-disciplinary learning opportunities for our students? Participants prototyped their projects with their students over the course of the 2014-15 school year. You can find out more about the summer institute through this Twitter story, or by reading the teachers’ stories in our blog.
This Summer (2015) we invite you to join your colleagues in a unique professional learning experience which nurtures professional growth and enhances your creative confidence to develop and enact engaging and meaningful learning tasks. We invite teachers from all disciplines to collaborate in an effort to bring new opportunities, experiences and inspiration to students.
We are offering two opportunities this summer so as to include our modified calendar teachers. Teachers may choose to attend one or the other, but attendance at one full institute is expected. We need a minimum of 10 teachers for each offering.
August 10 & 11 (Modified teachers return to work August 12)
(We will work collaboratively with this group to find a common date for a third meeting)
9:00am – 4:00pm
August 24, 25, 26 (Traditional teachers return to work August 27)
9:00am – 4:00pm
Each participant will:
- create a multi-disciplinary learning opportunity which invites students into a relevant and meaningful experientially focused learning task which brings fine or practical arts together with academics. Ideally this work will be taken up as part of a team.
- prototype their design with their students in the 2015-16 school year.
- document student voice in making their learning visible through documentation, reflection, sharing and engagement in the design process.
- collaborate with the Summer Institute team in gathering data through surveys, interviews and other means to provide feedback and information about the outcomes of this initiative.
Support will be provided by:
- External Expertise and Community Partnerships
- Online and Face to Face environments to connect with your Professional Learning Networks (PLNs)
- System Facilitators for ongoing work
- Release time during the school year for collaborative meetings
- Other supports for project implementation
We hope you will join us in August. Please let us know by filling out this form. And please pass on this information to others who you think might be interested.
If you have questions, please contact Erin Quinn firstname.lastname@example.org or Tracy Dalton email@example.com.